225g / 8oz red lentils
500 ml / 18 fl oz water
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion – chopped
2 carrots – grated
110g / 4oz cheddar cheese – grated
½ tsp dried sage
1 tbsp parsley – chopped
25g / 1oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
1. Simmer the lentils in the water until lentils soft and water absorbed.
2. Gently fry onion in oil until soft.
3. Add onion and other ingredients to lentils and mix well.
4. Press into baking dish and bake at 190° C / 375° F / Gas Mark 5 for 30 minutes.
5. Cut into slices and serve hot or cold with a side salad