Can be Vegan
900g / 2lb onions – peeled and sliced
1.2 ltr / 2 pints vegetable stock
Pinch of mace (optional)
1 bay leaf
50g / 2oz butter*
25g / 1oz wholemeal flour
Pinch cayenne pepper
1. Cook onions gently in melted butter until brown.
2. Mix in flour and cook for a few more seconds.
3. Remove from heat, add boiling stock, bay leaf, cayenne, mace, seasoning and simmer until cooked.
4. Serve with a little cream or natural yogurt( omit or use soya for vegan version)
* use vegan margarine for vegan version