30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
10 ml/ 2 tsp dried sage
450g/1 lb carrots, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
15ml/ 1 tbs yeast extract
1 litre/1 ¾ pt vegetable stock
75g/3oz cashew nuts, chopped
Seasoning to taste
1. Heat the oil and sauté onion gently.
2. Add the garlic, sage, carrots, potato and yeast extract and continue to sauté for a few minutes.
3. Add the stock and simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Stir in the cashew nuts and season.
5. Allow to cool slightly and puree in a food processor or blender.
Copyright the Vegetarian Society